USEMARCON Plus Licence Agreement
The British Library and the National Library of Finland are making the USEMARCON Plus software available free of charge to users and application developers. We ask, however, that potential users agree to abide by the terms of the following licence agreement and provide contact details in the form below. Although the British Library is not formally supporting the software, this may make it possible for us to contact users with details of any further amendments or involve them in later developments.
Upon completion and submission of the licence agreement below you will be directed to a page where you can download the USEMARCON Plus software along with its supporting documentation.
USEMARCON PLUS SOFTWARE LICENCE AGREEMENT
Copyright © 2001 British Library/USEMARCON Consortium
This program is made available as unsupported free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the following terms and conditions. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION
0. The "Program", below, refers to any such program or work, and a "work
based on the Program" means either the Program or any derivative work under
copyright law: that is to say, a work containing the Program or a portion of it,
either verbatim or with modifications and/or translated into another language. (Hereinafter,
translation is included without limitation in the term "modification".)
Each licensee is addressed as "you".
Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not covered by this Licence; they are outside its scope.
The "Consortium", above, refers to: Koninklijke Bibliotheek, Netherlands, Instituto da Biblioteca Nacional e do Livro, Portugal and The British Library, United Kingdom.
1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this Licence and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this Licence along with the Program.
You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.
2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:
- You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
- If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty).
These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program, and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then this Licence, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of this Licence, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it.
Thus, it is not the intent of this section to claim rights or contest your rights to work written entirely by you; rather, the intent is to exercise the right to control the distribution of derivative or collective works based on the Program.
In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under the scope of this Licence.
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:
- Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
- Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable. However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the executable. If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent access to copy the source code from the same place counts as distribution of the source code, even though third parties are not compelled to copy the source along with the object code.
4. You may not copy, modify, sublicence, or distribute the Program except as expressly provided under this Licence. Any attempt otherwise to copy, modify, sublicence or distribute the Program is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this Licence. However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this Licence will not have their licences terminated so long as such parties remain in full compliance.
5. You are not required to accept this Licence until you have submitted the agreement to abide by its terms. However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or distribute the Program or its derivative works. These actions are prohibited by law if you do not accept this Licence. Therefore, by modifying or distributing the Program (or any work based on the Program), you indicate your acceptance of this Licence to do so, and all its terms and conditions for copying, distributing or modifying the Program or works based on it.
6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the Program), the recipient automatically receives a licence from the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this Licence.
7. Because the program is licensed free of charge, there is no warranty for the program, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Except when otherwise stated in writing the copyright holders and/or other parties provide the program "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the program is with you. should the program prove defective, you assume the cost of all necessary servicing, repair or correction.
8. In no event unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing will any copyright holder, or any other party who may modify and/or redistribute the program as permitted above, be liable to you for damages, including any general, special, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use or inability to use the program (including but not limited to loss of data or data being rendered inaccurate or losses sustained by you or third parties or a failure of the program to operate with any other programs), even if such holder or other party has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
Software Licence Agreement
For further information please contact:
The British Library
Boston Spa, Wetherby
West Yorkshire LS23 7BQ
Tel: + 44 (0) 1937 546548
Fax: + 44 (0) 1937 546586